Although a little early, I thought I would write today’s blog on National Cupcake Week, which this year is 16th- 22nd September. As usual there is a competition, which last year featured a number of categories such as Best Cupcake Made With Alcohol, Savoury Cupcake, Free-from Cupcake and Themed Cupcake.
One of last years entries really intrigued me as it was a Korma Cupcake made by Gill Talbot of Fantasweets Cupcakes , I love Korma and I do love a good cupcake…….but could I eat a Korma Cupcake?! I am not sure, but just in case you are also interested here is the recipe as taken from National Cupcake Week. They do look so appetising and I think it would be a great treat for the taste buds and it even features a mini poppadom on top.
by Gill Talbot, of Fantasweets Cupcakes
Savoury Cupcake of the Year Highly commended
- 150ml pot natural yogurt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tblsp Korma ready mixed curry paste
- 90g caster sugar
- 140g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g ground almonds
- 175g unsalted butter, melted
- 110g Selection of finely chopped vegetables (carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, peas, etc)
- Crème Fresh Mango Chutney
- Mini Poppadums
- Leaves of fresh coriander
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases and heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 5.
- In a jug, mix the yogurt, eggs and korma paste. Put the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the middle (add a pinch of salt for taste if wanted, I don’t!).
- Add the yogurt mix, melted butter and vegetable selection and quickly fold in with a spatula or metal spoon – don’t overwork it. Spoon into the cases over the ¾ way mark and bake for 20 mins. Cool for a few mins, then lift the cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely
- When cold, decorate for Delight collection by piping a generous amount of crème fresh on top, placing a mini poppadum on top and then filling with the mango chutney. Finish dressing by laying a fresh coriander leaf on top.
Another of my favourite entries (mainly because I am slightly obsessed with Christmas) was the winner of the Themed Cupcake- Tis The Season by Sabrina Collins, of Lady Jayne’s Cakes. The recipe for this delightful looking cake can be found here!
If your brain in brimming with ideas and you are wanting to enter then here is the link and if you win you get a rather stylish looking trophy! To help we even have a section on our website where you can buy all your cupcake supplies so you can get practising straight away.